See my website!

31 Dec 2011

The Best of 2011 (part 2)

Heyyy Girls!!!
Getting back to the countdown we are doing on Girl's World for the Best products and trends of 2011, before we start the countdown for the arrival of the new year.

13. Best Eye shadow
Eye shadow is a must have for every girl. It's a cosmetic which features on the daily use list of some while others, like me, stick to it for only special events. What I look for in an eye shadow is a soft, blend able powder with rich color pigments and lots of shimmer to highlight my eyes. Maybelline Diamond Glow Eyeshadow Quad has all this and more. The wide range of shades in the quads to choose from, also this shadow gives me up to 5 hour long wear with no flaking. The diamond like shimmer particles which are present in this eye shadow are just perfect for a shimmer crazy girl like me! With step by step application illustrated on the palette, creating your customised smoky eye just got easier.

14. Best Face Scrub Exfoliator
Exfoliating your skin on a weekly basis is the key to fresh, youthful looking skin. Prior to using our Best Scrub of 2011, I had tried and stuck to the popular walnut/apricot scrubs which are easily available and popular in India. When Lotus Herbals launched their White Glow line of fairness products, I grabbed three of the many products on offer. Two of them were major disappointments. But the third was the Lotus Herbals White Glow Oatmeal & Yoghurt Scrub. Its a white color scrub with a herbs like fragrance, micro particles of oatmeal that gently exfoliate skin to remove dead cells, dis-colouration, dirt, black and white heads etc. Post using this scrub, my skin is left looking clear, bright and super soft. With this scrub I finally moved out of my comfort zone of sticking to conventional exfoliators and found a more efficient yet gentle exfoliator in oatmeal.



15. Best Body Moisturising Lotion/Cream
Using a body lotion to moisturise and protect your skin through the day is very important. The best time to use  a body lotion is post your bath while your skin is still moist and maximum absorption of the moisturiser is possible. After trying many brands of departmental and pricey body lotions, I found the one that was perfect for a picky girl like me. I like my body moisturiser to have a) Great Smell and b) Even greater moisturising qualities. Garnier Body Cocoon was the perfect body lotion for me this year because it's instantly absorbed into the skin and keeps the skin moisturised and fragrant for hours after. In this age of central air conditioning, dry skin has become a common problem. Here's the good news, after using this body cream I've spent up to 8 hours in air conditioned environment yet there was no tell tale signs of dryness, skin tightness, white lines when scratched etc. And this is how Garnier Body Cocoon became the chosen body lotion/cream for me to cocoon myself in 2011.

16. Best Body Spray/ Deo
I'm a self confessed gym/fitness freak who sweats out daily with almost religious dedication. And for me to have a body spray or deo that gives me the protection I need from body odour and sweaty underarms is very important. In the last four years since I have been into physical fitness, I have tried and re-tried many body deo's. But the protection and fragrance of Dove deodorant is something I have come to trust and bank on. My favourite in their range of deo's is the Clear Touch body spray which leaves your underarms soft and fresh all day long while their 1/4 moisturising cream cares for your skin. All this and no white marks on your skin or clothes. Flaunting great smelling and pretty looking under arms is now my prerogative!

17. Best Shampoo
Coloring and using heat on my hair is the reason I had to seek a shampoo that can take care and maybe reverse some of the damage I have inflicted on it. A repairing or damage care shampoo was my go to hair care product this year. L'Oreal re-vamped and re-launched their popular Absolut Repair home care hair line this year and that was the solution to all my repairing needs. Like its name, this shampoo with its ingredients like Lactic Acid, helps in re-binding the broken keratin links in damaged hair. The results of this shampoo are so good that I would personally endorse it for those girl's who have damaged hair but don't have the heart to cut it all yet. All though I like to keep trying and shuttling between different shampoos as they are a weakness for me, L'Oreal Professionel's Absolut Repair Cellular Shampoo was without a doubt the best shampoo I have used this year.

18. Best Conditioner
Like a repairing shampoo was my need this year, so was a repairing conditioner. But since I like to try different products, from different hair care lines together to create my own combinations, I paired my best shampoo of this year with TIGI's Urban Anti-Dotes Resurrection Conditioner. This conditioner has great resurrection qualities and moisturises hair while concentrating on the dry, damaged parts. With an awesome strawberry smell and attractive packaging I enjoyed using this conditioner very much and think its one of the finest products from the house of Toni and Guy.

19. Best Hair Mask
Dove Nourishing Oil Care line of hair products were launched this year and created quiet a storm in the Indian market. Dove claims that it is one of the most recommended hair product brand among Indian women. I would definitely agree. I have on several occasions recommended Dove hair care products to some of my girl pals and always received positive feed back from them. Dove, with its great quality products at affordable prices is exactly what makes it so popular. The best hair mask of this year was Dove's Nourishing Oil Care Weekly Repair Mask. The care of oil in a hair mask was what had me sold to this product. That Indian's are fond of religiously using hair oil to condition and tame their hair is well known across the world. This hair mask not only gives your hair the goodness of hair oils but also repairs damage hair making it smooth and naturally shiny. Don't fret if you don't enjoy oiling your hair or have no time to, use this hair mask and give it the benefit of oiling through a mask.

20. Best Hair Serum/Spray
The hair serum of the year 2011 also comes from the Dove Nourishing Oil Care line. While I stick to professional hair products while using heat on my hair for protection and enhanced shine, the daily use hair care serum that I use post a hair wash is the Dove Nourishing Oil Care Serum. This serum is instantly absorbed in to the hair leaving it shiny, smooth and nourished. It increases hair manageability without any greasiness or heaviness. This serum has an affordable price but does the work of salon exclusive hair care products. It truly deserves to be the Best Hair Serum of 2011.

21. Best Nail Enamel/Paint
Definitely, Maybelline Nail Enamels. With a wide range of nail paint colors and formulas to choose from, Maybelline was the only nail paint I have purchased and re-purchased through the year. Their nail paints have great color pigments and apply well. The brush provided with each nail paint bottle is perfect for applying nail paint without messing it up. At affordable prices, Maybelline is indulging every girl's nail art dreams and is the perfect recipient for the Best Nail Enamel of 2011.

22. Best Lip Balm
Lip balm is one beauty product every girl must have on herself, at all times. Our lips have only three to five cellular layers as compared to the skin on our face which has sixteen layers, making it very delicate and more prone to dryness. The Body Shop's Wild Cherry Lip Butter is my Best Lip Balm of 2011 because it keeps lips soft with rich lip butters, cherry oil, shea butter and organic beeswax. With the goodness of anti-oxidant and Vitamin A & E, this lip butter helps prevent lips from drying. The yummy cherry aroma of this lip butter makes me want to eat it! Girl's, the only drawback is using this lip butter may cause your popularity in the opposite sex to proliferate, thanks to the luscious and delicious smelling lips you'll get by using this one.

23. Best Fashion Trend
Fashion trends change with every season. However, one trend was seen all over the place through the year, The fashion magazines hailed it, the critics also acknowledged it, the celebrities flaunted it and girl's like you and me rejoiced! Colorblocking was first seen in the spring 2011 collections on runways across the world. Strategically placed, contrasting, yet complimentary, bold and bright colors paired together to create a unique look is what colorblocking is all about. If you are trying to break away from safe, neutral colors like black, white, brown, navy, grey and beige in your wardrobe choices, let me guide you where to start from. Chose a bold or neon color and take it back to one of these neutrals for baby steps into this colorblocking trend. Here are a few ideas and color combinations to de-code the 'Now' trend of the year :

  • Cobalt BlueYellowOrange
  • Chocolate BrownPink, Peach
  • PurpleBright Blue, Teal
  • Deep bluebright pink, White
  • Coral, Grey, Ivory


If you are apprehensive to go all out when colorblocking your clothes, you can try the black-white combination which offers a modern look with as much fun. You can leave the drama of  creating color on your accessories. Colorblocking is a big favourite of mine because its just made for the Indian figure. Colorblocking is all about playing up and down your curves. The trick is to choose a neutral color for the parts of your body you want to downplay and the bolder colors for what you want to flaunt and accentuate. Another way to introduce bold pops of color into your dressing is through your accessories. Shoes, handbags, jewellery play a big part when colorblocking your accessories. So girls, what are you waiting for? It's still not too late to take the world over, by a color storm, this new years eve!

Hope you have enjoyed reading this post as much as I have enjoyed compiling it for you :-D
Cheers!!

2 comments:

  1. Nice compilation..where can i find TIGI's Urban Anti-Dotes Resurrection Conditioner? is it available online?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Parita,
    You can buy the Urban Anti Dotes Conditioner online. It is also available in Juice salons and Toni & Guy salons in major cities.

    ReplyDelete